We are a Catholic Parish formed in 1944 out of St Mary's Parish in Bradford. However our history began before 1918 when Catholics from this part of Bradford had to attend St Mary's East Parade, for Mass and the reception of the Sacraments. The first St Clare's was a former Congregationalist chapel, a tin hut situated in Charnwood Road, which was purchased for Fr Schreiber of St Mary's by Mr John Farley. The church was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Cowgill, and became a chapel-of-ease served from St Mary's.
This was a period of growth and building in Bradford, and as new housing estates were built on Bradford Moor and Eccleshill, the congregation at St Clare's grew. This growing population made the provision of a new Catholic School a priority, so Fr Schreiber bought "Ashfield", a large house standing in five acres of land at Fagley, and in September 1930 a new five classroom infant and junior school was opened.
St Clare's school hall became the Mass Centre and the tin hut chapel in Charnwood Road was relinquished. After the Second World War building continued apace in the area, and it was decided that St Clare's should have a permanent church, so plans were made, money raised and the project began. The present church was completed and dedicated by Bishop Heenan on 12th December 1956 and it was consecrated by Bishop Wheeler on 31st October 1968.
In 2006, the then Bishop of Leeds instigated a re-organisation of the Bradford Deanery which led to the closure of a number of Catholic churches and amalgamation of parishes, among them was St Brendan's Church Ravenscliffe. St Brendan's had begun as a Mass Centre served from St Clare's, but soon became a parish in it's own right. St Brendan's Parish was merged with St Clare's Parish to become one.
Who are we now? We are a faithful community of people from all walks of life, of all ages and backgrounds with a desire witness to the love of God in each one of us, and in the world around us. We seek to be a worshipping, serving and sacrificing community following the example of Jesus.
You are welcome to join with us!